[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - "Newbie" Colorants/Salt Water/Clay

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:46 am 

Hi all I am a new soaper and trying to work out the kinks :?
I bought some colorants and Water-soluble TD (Titanium Dioxide) I wanted to pre-mix them in oil or glycerin or water.
I was wondering how long will they keep after I do this?

Also my soap colors tend to come out translucent, I don't try to gel I'm going for more of a creamy color but I just cant seem to get the colors right.
I tried to refrigerate after soaping to prevent gelling and soaping at room temp but every time its a translucent color. Pretty but translucent.
The oils I use are Palm/Avocado/coconut/cocoa butter/Shea butter/castor oil

Also I wanted to try adding Ocean Salt Water, my dad has a sail boat and we live in San Diego Cal I was thinking to use ocean water.
Sailing out to the deep deep Ocean and bringing back a bucket of nice clean ocean water is this safe.

Also when using bentonite clay what is the ratio to be used *( soap oz/bentonite clay oz ) dose it matter should I just play with it and see what works for me of is there a fail ratio?

Thanks for your help :0)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:29 am 

Welcome!
Water soluble TD is only water soluble. You can mix it with a small amount of water and make a smooth slurry.
I would not premix it ahead of time.
Some soaps just come out translucent whether you gel or not.
Ocean water is fine. Just make sure that it's clean with no debris.
For bentonite clay, start out with a teaspoon, then go from there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:56 am 

Thanks for your help SoapBuddy I so appreciate your time and expertise :0)

Reg: TD/water mixture - Really :0( I never really know how much I will need to achieve the color I am going for so I tend to mix more than I need. I should be throwing any left over away?

Reg Colorant/oil mixture - Really :0( I have seen Brambleberry & TKB's premixed colorants, so I thought I could do the same, only TKB and Brambleberry must add preservatives or something like that so it would last longer than what I would mix up, but your saying not to pre mix.

Thanks again for your help :0)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:22 pm 

You are welcome. I only mix what I need. Since it is mixed with water, it would need a preservative.