[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Hot Process Liquid Soaps Labeling

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:38 pm 

Good morning,

Please may i ask your advice.

Coconut Oil - INCI name before saponification is Sodium Cocoate, would I be correct in saying that after saponification and for labeling purposes this would change to Potassium Cocoate

Thank you

Ian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:52 am 

If you're making liquid soap with potassium hydroxide, then "yes".

If you're making CP soap with sodium hydroxide, then "no".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:08 am 

This would only work if you are making 100% coconut soap.
For any other soaps, you list what goes into the soap, not what comes out.
Some oils or butters have more unsaponifiables. The only way to know what comes out is to get the soap tested. Pricy and not necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:19 pm 

Ran a GC Mass Spec on soap I made several years ago to prove a point that the saponification conversion goes in order of abundance percentage. My company runs environmental samples for base neutrals and I have access to use the equipment. Felt the need to debunk a discussion over what lye claims and what it doesn't during the saponification process. The GC Mass Spectrometer will break down elements into their most basic molecular structure, and peak other compounds so you can tell what goes in.....and what comes out. With a library of over 500-K elements and compounds, it's astonishingly accurate.

It's also great for reverse engineering things like store bought window cleaner and soft drinks.

And yes SoapBuddy you're correct that it's pricey. You have to know in advance what you're looking for or else you can end up spinning your wheels and have no results in the end.