[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Need a recommendation

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need a recommendation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:21 am 

I just got my tax return and as a splurge just for me I'd like to buy a wire multi-bar soap cutter. Mostly because I suck at cutting bars by hand and I'm tired of ruining my beautiful soaps with bad cuts. I am currently cutting with a taping knife and miter box and still manage to mess it up :evil: I'd like to stay under $150 dollars and usually make 3# batches. There's so many options on etsy, and this will be an investment and splurge so if anyone has a suggestion of one that is good quality and that they are happy with, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 am 

Hi there.
I hope someone else knows more or can find more options but I did a quick google and yahoo search and the only thing I found under 250 or so was this one. I have seen someone use this on youtube soap makeing videos and it seems to work perfectly , I would guess you have to tune it just like you would anything with wires though to make sure there was the perfect pressure tenstion or what not.

http://www.forcraftssake.com/shop/index ... ucts_id=24

http://www.soap-making-resource.com/wir ... utter.html

http://www.brambleberry.com/Multi-Bar-Cutter-P5256.aspx Now this one is a tad more but its from BB and we all know that they have awsome products and impeccable coustmer service. I know nothing about the other two places though someone else may. Also I am not sure when your planning to get this item but BB is going to have a promo April 1-12 th that for orders over 75.00 you get a discount on shipping. I did not completly understand this so I called them and she said say you order something fairly light so the shipping is less then 20 you would get the shipping free, now the mulita bar cutter is heaver so say the shipping was 22.00 well you would get 20 off that so would only pay 2 dollers for shipping. So even if the others would be less expenseive by say 20-30 dollers if you paid for shipping you would actually get a better deal paying for the one From BB and getting the discount and of course you would get there award winning service as well :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 am 

OOOHH thank you. I was thinking about the BB one but it's a bit much for me. With lowered shipping that might work out! I also like the forcraftssake one. Decisions, decisions. Any one ever used one of these two? Do you like them? I'm kinda leaning towards the BB one now because everything I've bought from them has been great. Thanks so much for the info.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 pm 

have you consider looking into Bud's...I don't know his last name but he's very popular among other soapmakers. He customized his cutters and are fairly priced probably under 150.00. He has an etsy shop. Sorry, I couldn't provide the last name.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:52 pm 

I have this one & it is wonderful! (couldn't quite justify the Tank at this stage!)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/100417274/m ... birch-high?

He is great with communication & super quick, I ordered mine just before Christmas, no hassles! :D

There are 2 bar widths (though he made mine to order), & 2 different types of cutter.

Hope this helps. BTW, the craftmanship is wonderful! Highly recommend! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:22 am 

ooh Rochy I like that one! Looks like the BB one but so much less expensive. This is just hobby for me, I don't sell so it really is a splurge. Have you had any trouble with the wires? It looks pretty awesome. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:20 pm 

No worries at all with wires!
But since I live in New Zealand & postage is such a killer I asked for a couple of extras to be included.
He did this no worries! :D