[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Seborrheic dermatitis & extremely dry skin

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:57 am 

What do you think of a coconut oil/shea butter soap recipe at 50:50? What % would you superfat it at?
Do you think it would work for seborrheic dermatitis?

The other question would be: is there any recipe you're willing to share for extremely dry skin? Or at least advices? Castile is not an option,due to long curing period. I would go with goat milk, at least 40% o.o. ,some castor and shea and avocado. Also, p.o. and c.o at some %. Any suggestion is welcome!
Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:10 am 

Honestly, you could still do castile. It doesn't have to cure for a long time. It's just harder and less slimey after a really long cure.

But if you absolutely don't want to do castile, then I'd go with something that's very conditioning and low cleansing.
Olive Oil 50%
Avocado Oil 20%
Shea Butter 15%
Castor Oil 5%
Coconut Oil 10%

With a 10% SF

This will give you a conditioning of 69 & a cleansing value of 7. If you plan on using milk, that will up the bubbles & creaminess.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:16 am 

I would not use shea butter in that high of a %, nor would I want coconut over 20% (it tends to be drying).
My best suggestion for you is to go and play on the soap calc, put in your oils and play with the % to see what happens as you alter the %.
If you do not want to do a Castille or high OO soap, then just pick out what you do want to use. Personally, I love avocado oil, but truly, just about anything works in the proper proportions. The soap calc will definitely help you to see what properties each oil brings.
Once you begin using handmade soap regularly (assuming its a good recipe), I think that you will find that just using the soap helps with dry skin. My Mother never really thought much of using my soap until she realized how flaky her skin was when she ran out and used her box store bar. She spent all last Summer scratching her arm :oops: and telling my clients how her skin is better now. :roll: I had a really hard time reining her in! :lol:

Tammy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:48 am 

Thank you all,ladies!
Neither of soaps is for myself, I don't have problems with my skin, that's why I cannot be my own tester person.
I've been making soaps for a year now, and all who have tried my soaps, truely enjoy them, but lately I've been asked for soaps for specific skin condition, such as above mentioned. I need to tell here that those persons use my soaps for their body wash, with no problems, but their face skin tend to be drier than the rest of the body.
I will certainly try saopcalc vareties, just not sure how accurte it could be (considering its output when you input o.o. only)!?
Do you think it's reliable for experimenting with oils quantity?

I was told by a friend soapmaker, too that avocado oil at bigger portion wouldn't make a soap milder. Despite of it, she loves it, she just thinks it won't make what I need!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:51 am 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:01 am 

Oh sorry, that COCONUT/SHEA soap would be for seborrheic dermatitis, not for extremely dry skin.
It needs to clean pores and yet to be mild for preventing skin from drying! Hmmm, I really need some firsthand experience!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:24 am 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:34 am 

Yes the soap calc is quite accurate for checking the oil qualities. OO is a special case, one that rather "breaks rules" of soaping, although it takes months to cure, the properties are still quite accurate, with that one exception. There are always a few exceptions to any rules. A 100% coconut soap (usually used in a salt bar) is also a rule breaker (if you do it right with the sf, you will get a lovely bar. Don't and you just have a hard, harsh mess). Yet, the properties/qualities given there are still quite accurate in every other situation. The calc is an accurate tool to use, give it a whirl.

One thing about the soaps you are trying to create. Make sure that you exercise caution when discussing the soaps with and in front of clients, and when you label your soap. You cannot make any claims/mentions about dermatitis or anything else unless you want to have to follow the labeling requirements for cosmetics or medications.

Tammy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am 

I make a 80% coconut and 20% avocado with a 20% superfat and it is wonderful. It does not leave me feeling dry at all. Makes a beautiful hard bar with lots of lather, both big and small bubbles. I agree that with just simply using handmade soaps instead of store bought soaps that have tons of synthetic ingredients, there will be a noticeable difference in one's skin. My daughter has eczema and it pops up from time to time. Normally it is when she has received a body wash as a gift and she uses it. Once she goes back to using my handmade soap, it disappears.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:22 am 

Tammy, I don't pretend to heal people,but to help. I will not label them as healing products, just want to offer friends a good bar that will help.Thanks for your concern,anyway.
Hvrba, I was thinking of making salt bar with 80% coconut and 20%SF, I was told by many people with sensitive/dry skin it works for them. It sounds almost unbelievable for me,so have decided to give it a try. Your recipe sounds so luxurious!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:28 pm 

I wasn't trying to imply anything, just informing/reminding so that nobody gets into trouble!

A salt bar is quite different, and a lot of people love them. I like using an 80/20 w/ 20% sf recipe as well. They are definitely something I think everyone needs to try at least once, just to see what they think if no other reason.
Remember to cut it as soon as it begins hardening though, or else it will get too hard and you will get lots of crumbling and breaking when you try to cut. You can usually cut within 4 hours. Depending on the recipe it may be more or less, just watch it and cut as soon as you can.

Tammy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:28 pm 

I am new to soapmakeing so I cant make any claims about soaps one way or the other when it comes to recipies. I pure castile soap I got from someone is helping alot with my sons skin. He has had skin issues from birth. As a new soap maker (myself) I would suggest picking a couple recipies you would like to try or that are suggested in small 1/2-1 pound batches and try them for a week or so each and see what helps your skin the best. I would also make or buy a castile soap make with buttermilk or goats milk as they do work really well . I found a few other helpfull things when it comes to my sons skin I would like to suggest. No bubble baths, no super hot baths or shower, spend only about 10 minutes in the water, lotions especally store bought instead of hand made only make things worse in the long run.
I also found this youtube video about tar soaps wich people have been useing for a very long time to help with skin problems , wether it truely helps I sapose only the people that use it would know but you could also try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxn9Y4I1kC0

I asked these types of questions on the lotions toletry area, when asking about butters and what not for the skin I have since been useing a pure butter milk castile soap and raw unrefined shea butter in the place of lotion on my sons skin, Others suggest other butters such as mango I just happen to have shea at the time. And my sons skin is noticbly improved in about a week. He is not happy not to play in a bubble bath for 40 minutes at a go but sure is happy that he dosnt itch so much that he is bleeding and scabby.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:11 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:18 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:47 pm 

Just remember that nothing is an overnight cure. It's gonna take at least a week to see any difference.