[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - 2 layer soap colored naturally problem

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:45 am 

Hi,
I have a question on coloring soap naturally.
I wanted to have soap colored in two layers. Bottom layer would be base white soap color with calendula petals, second top layer would be gold colored by oil with infused annatto seeds. When my mixture of oils and lye reached trace I divided soap for two parts and in second part added oil infused with annatto seeds leaving the seeds out. The amount of that oil was 50gramms and it was part of recipe. Soap was covered by plastic wrap, put in oven heated to 170F and turned off and kept there till next day.
When I cut soap it was crumbly. I used the formula before and it didn’t happen in the past. Water : Lye solution is 2:1. Calculator was run for lye amount.
I know that the one of the reason for crumbles could be lye heavy formula.
I understand that soap at the time of mixture with lye was less oil amount for 50gr which cause more lye. But the rest of needed amount of oil was added back to second layer of soap. Wouldn’t it react with lye anyway at saponification process to achieve the balance? Or the process I did still caused lye heavy soap and crumbles?
I would like to naturally color soap to have different color layers but in order to divide it and color each part takes more than spoon of infused oil to achieve desired color so that oil should be deducted from formula.
Do we have only one option for color naturally soap as have it in all in one color only?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:11 am 

If you added the oil only to the second part, it's likely the first layer is lye heavy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:15 am 

I've had great success with my natural colorants and in doing them in layers. I don't deduct oil from the original recipe, I simply add the infused oils into the separate batches to achieve the color I want. The fat I add in becomes superfatted. 50 gams is only about 3 tbl. I've never had batch failure adding more fat in these small amounts.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:24 am 

Thank you Terrywaldron for advice. Do you still calculate your formula with 5% superfat and add on top of it infused oil or you formula doesn't have extra superfat?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:33 am 

I superfat at 5% excluding the fused oil so the infused oil is in addition. As I said, it only amounts to a few tablespoons. Sometimes too I remove some trace and mix my additives in that and add back to main batch.