[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - No-lotion-needed soap recipe: is it possible??

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:34 am 

I am on a quest!!...for the most moisturizing soap recipe possible, one that, after washing with, I would not feel like I need to put on any moisturizer. Can this be done? My hands and legs are always dry and flaky after the shower, even after using my own soap. I've done some research, and in *theory* I know all the carrier oils that are supposed to be moisture rich in a final soap, plus some additives that are said to have soothing properties for sensitive skin, but I would like to know...do they really TRULY work? I have done a bit of experimenting in my base recipe; I've tried the standard coconut/palm/olive oil blend (superfatted at 5%), and then the same but with shea butter, and then also a totally coconut-free blend using vegetable shortening, shea butter, and olive oil, after reading that coconut oil can be drying when used as a large percentage of base oil. My latest Brambleberry order included calendula petals (I'm going to try a tea for my lye water), and evening primrose extract, which I've heard works great for sensitive skin. Has anyone else tried these additives, and do they really moisturize your skin right out of the shower? I am thinking that the real solution will be in my base oil blend, so I'm looking for some tried and true butters and oils. In my next experiment, I was going to go for a low percentage of coconut oil (for lather), high olive oil, a small bit of castor oil, and maybe some shea butter, since I still have a good bit left over. I also have avocado oil and cocoa butter, which I've not yet tried.

Thoughts and other recommendations? Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:31 pm 

Welcome!
Technically, soap doesn't moisturize as it's a wash off product. It conditions and cleans.
You won't get the moisturizing properties of the oils as most saponify and are no longer oils but a type of salt.
My skin finds 5% superfat drying. I do a 7-8% superfat always.
I don't go above 20% coconut oil in a soap recipe as that dries out my skin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:47 am 

Audrey0682 I'm new to this forum and I don't have a lot of knowledge about M&P or Cold-process soap making, but I did find a interesting article you may find useful. This one is supposed to be natural (Somaluxe Argan Oil) Hope it helps!!

Native to Morocco, Argan Oil comes from the Argan Tree. This golden-colored oil is extracted from kernels produced by the tree. Coveted for centuries, Argan Oil is highly prized as both a rich gourmet ingredient for betterment of health, as well as an age-old beauty secret. Studies on the ingesting Argan oil reveal the nutty-flavored oil may have heart-health benefits similar to that of olive oil. As a beauty regime, however, Argan Oil has many benefits. It contains very high levels of Vitamin E and fatty acids, ideal for helping to treat many skin ailments and blemishes.
Argan oil has multiple beauty uses. It can be applied to the face, body, hair and cuticles, and is often added to other products. It helps to treat split ends, treat acne, dry and irritated skin, and prevent scarring from unwanted blemishes. Argan Oil is also touted as an effective anti-aging product, helping to minimize fine lines and wrinkles. With so many benefits, it's no wonder this oil is highly prized and also said to be highly expensive.
Now Moroccan Oil, if you haven't already guessed, yes, this is Argan Oil too. The difference here is Moroccan Oil often has additional ingredients already added to it. These additives can include silicones most often, Aloe Vera, and various other components. Made with Argan oil, Moroccan oil is a lesser pure form of Argan Oil, so if you're looking for the liquid gold and nothing else, be sure to read the beauty label ingredients. That being said, however, Moroccan Oil still has many of the same great benefits as Argan Oil. It can help improve the appearance of dry, damaged hair, rough skin, and delivers brilliant shine to any mane. So are there any real downsides to using either?
Due to the limited supply of Argan Oil, the cost for this natural beauty agent is very high, making price a definite factor in many people's choice to try it. In addition, the fatty acids found in these oils, while beneficial, can also sometimes cause skin breakouts and acne. This is due to the presence of oleic acid, which can clog pores and cause inflammation. Just be cautious and know not all oils are always packaged in their truest form. A quick read of the ingredients should definitely help you make your beauty pick.

Last edited by Soapsavvy on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:39 am 

Hi again Audrey, you may also want to look into this particular oil also. Babassu oil.

Audrey here's another great article I found for a product that supposed to be moisturizing. Happy soaping!!
What Is Babassu Oil? Babassu oil is an oil that is extracted from the kernel of the palm tree family (just like coconut oil is) and has very similar components to coconut oil as well. The fatty acids present in coconut oil that do our hair/body oh so right can also be found in Babassu Oil. This clear/ light yellow vegetable oil comes directly from the Brazilian Babassu plant and is made up of 70 percent lipids. Babassu oil, like coconut oil, is used in many beauty products, skin care products, and for cooking as well due to its moisturizing properties. (I was shocked by the amount of my all time faves that had Babassu Oil in them. Check your labels you’ll be surprised too) This oil works wonders on dry skin and hair because it also contains restorative properties.

How Does It Compare/Relate To Coconut Oil: Both oils are great moisturizers for both the hair and skin and can be used directly on the body to help deal with issues such as eczema, psoriasis, dry skin…etc. Both oils are also great options for sealing your ends to loc in moisture, as a pre-poo treatment, or just as a boost for your deep conditioner.

Where these two oils differ is Babassu Oil is much lighter than coconut oil and has less of a “greasy/heavy” feeling when applied. Babassu offers more of a cool/tingly sensation as compared to coconut oil. The heaviness/thickness of coconut oil can sometimes be too much for certain hair types/textures and can weigh the hair down. With Babassu Oil that is unlikely to happen. Babassu is also a bit gentler and doesn’t clog the pores, leading to less breakouts compared to if you used coconut oil.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:29 am 

Your original question was trying to formulate a soap that did not leave your skin dry, right?

Like Soapbuddy said, soap is a wash off product, so the best "moisturizing" effect that it can do for you is to NOT wash off all your natural skin oils. Use something like Soapcalc, and formulate your recipe, using the oils of your choice, with a very low "cleansing" number. That will remove less of the surface skin oils that are naturally present to protect your outer later of skin.

Of course, which oils you choose to use in that formula is the art of the science of soapmaking. If it were me, and this were my quest, I'd make very small batches, measuring VERY carefully by weight of course, of "single oil" soaps. (100% olive, 100% palm, 100% avocado, etc...) I'd discover which one I liked the feel of best on my skin, and then make that the prominent oil in my formula.

Olive oil is the classic used in a situation like this. It is very low in cleansing, meaning it removes very little of the surface oil of your skin. The trade off is very low lather and a very very long cure.

Sorry, but sometimes there is no magic shortcut to figuring out what works best for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:04 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:18 am 

These are all helpful ideas, thank you! I will continue experimenting, with these suggestions in mind. I had been intending to play around with formulating some body butters anyway, so I will get to work on that. My husband and a friend of mine have also requested a soap good for sensitive skin, so I want to try to find the best recipe for them, and I understand that there are degrees of sensitive skin and therefore degrees of mildness in soap that will be best for each skin type, but your tips will give me a good place to start. I am looking forward to experimenting!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:25 pm 

I sell a soap for sensitive skin that contains 95% olive oil, 5% castor with a 8% superfat. My customers like it.