1. You can melt the base in a double boiler or the microwave. If you choose the microwave, make sure you cover the bowl you are melting the melt and pour (MP) with Saran Wrap to keep the excess moisture from evaporating out. Simply melt the base on high for one minute and stir the remaining, unmelted pieces in.
If you use a double-boiler, simply bring the water to boil, add your melt and pour, cover, turn the heat on low and walk away. Check on the base periodically to see it it’s melted.
2. If you add fragrance oil, add it after the base is fully melted. Stir until the fragrance is fully incorporated and the base doesn’t look “cloudy.” Start with .25 ounce per pound of base and work up or down from there. You can also use essential oils.
3. If you wish to add colorant, add the color when the base is melting. Just throw in 1/8 teaspoon to 1/4 teaspoon mica with the melting base and stir it in really well. Spray any “mica bubbles” that form on the top with rubbing alcohol. To use food coloring, simply put in 1 drop at a time to your melted base and color to preference. Too much can stain hands and towels, so be careful!
4. Pour into your soap mold – and spray the top with rubbing alcohol to get rid of any excess bubbles.
5. Use and enjoy once the soap is hard – which takes a few hours.